On Letting Go

On Monday, I was quickly perusing twitter, when I came across this tweet from the deliciously insightful Danielle LaPorte:

Fire Starter Sessions

This post got me thinking, and I felt the urge to get rid of some lingering negative thought patterns and behaviors from my life, written in the first person, because, you know, I love to dream big.

I am letting go of my anxiety that we are being too loud for the old lady who lives upstairs.

I am letting go of my belief that I am just not that stylish.

I am letting go of my need to drive the exact same route every day, and I am letting go of the fear and annoyance that I feel when things aren’t exactly as I envisioned them.

I am letting go of my fear that my parents won’t be able to take care of themselves when they’re older.

I am letting go of the fear that I’m never going to be able to pay off my student loans.

I am letting go of obsessing about my credit card bill.

I am letting go of my gmail inbox. I am letting go of the guilt I feel for not getting in touch.

I am letting go of the need to compare myself to others.

I am letting go of obsessing about my blog stats.

I am letting go of the anxiety that I’m feeling about my dirty apartment, the unwashed dishes, or the produce I should be eating when I know I want to order take-out.

I am letting go of the fear that I am not doing enough.

I am letting go of my deep-seated need to makes sure everyone else is comfortable, while forfeiting my own needs.

I am letting go of my old computer. I deserve an upgrade.

What do you want to let go of?

14 Comments to On Letting Go

1. daynya's Gravatar daynya
    March 31, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

LOVE this! it perfectly resonates with me, because these are mostly all things that I worry about constantly as well. Overwhelming worry, and guilt, very often. Good for you, you are awesome!

I am letting go of (eek) counting calories.

I am letting go of the idea that my daily workouts MUST come in the form of at least a one hour sweat session at the gym or they don’t count.

I am letting go of the thought that my enormous student loans will keep my fiance from marrying me.

I am letting go of thinking there is something wrong with me.

I am letting go of the fear that I shouldn’t start up my own blog because I fear no one will read it.

thanks so much for sharing this, it’s perfect today!

2. March 31, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I am letting go of my NEED for always trying to FIX it (whatever IT is)
    Jules – Big Girl Bombshell recently posted..Penny for your thoughtsMy Profile

3. March 31, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I love love love this!!! I too am letting go of the disappointment when things don’t go as I envision them. That’s a tough one, but I can do it.

I am also letting go of the drive to compare myself to others–though this one has and will take a long time!
    Hannah recently posted..My Brain is A Pile of Fried- Mushy TomatoesMy Profile

4. March 31, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I’m letting go of my focus on a project’s outcome. The process is just as important!
    Katie @ Health for the Whole Self recently posted..ACTION WEEK – Day 4- E-Book Launch!My Profile

5. March 31, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Love this! I’m letting go of a need to do it all.

6. March 31, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Oooh, this is so, so good.

I may need time to ruminate on this (or maybe just post one myself!).
    Ashe Mischief recently posted..If I Were Another Girl- Spring Florals &amp Lace TrimsMy Profile

7. March 31, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Let the old lady upstairs come party!

8. March 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

…i JUST wrote something about this yesterday! hah, we’ve got to be on the same wave length or something :)

i’m letting go of all those emotions which will not help me achieve happiness!
    zoe (and the beatles) recently posted..let goMy Profile

9. April 1, 2011 at 12:27 am | Permalink

I am letting go of an ex relationship

10. April 1, 2011 at 3:42 am | Permalink

i am letting go all those memories which stoping me to excel.

11. April 3, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I’m letting go of all the voices inside my head that keep telling I’m not good enough…

Fantastic post like usual :)
    Sarah recently posted..Words of Wisdom Wednesday- HopeMy Profile

12. Heather's Gravatar Heather
    April 8, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I’m also letting go of my worries about how my parents will take care of themselves in their old age.

I’m letting go of the guilt of not wanting to take responsibility for my parents full stop.

I’m letting go of my anger at myself for not always putting into practice the mass of knowledge about intuitive eating, disordered eating and how to move forward.

I’m letting go of my deepest fear: that my partner would rather I were thin, better looking and not with any background of disordered eating or depression. I am letting go of not being good enough.

1. By on July 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm