Marzipan, Meet Irene

It all began with a little pre-school year haircut. Yes, it was a tad windy, but it was reasonable.

“QUICK! QUICK! SAVE THE CARS!” After which, Nola posed for a first-tree-crashing-to-the-ground photo shoot.

When the second tree fell – I forgot all about twitter.

Tough guy – teensy weensy chainsaw.

Please note: the sun is shining, but he is on the roof mid-storm. Dismantling the tree. Because I was scream-crying about how it was going to take down the porch. He’s a local hero.

Not quite sure how to help.

They are KICKING the tree off the roof. Actually in this shot they are flattening themselves so as not to be blown off the roof, but you get the idea. Note: it didn’t work. So we wrapped it with a rope and pulled it down. It took the gutter with it.

Unfortunately, it crashed through the guardrail and demolished the table. Father not pleased, blamed daughters for making him get on the roof during a storm, and then concocting the idea that we could move the tree with our own bare hands.

At some point during this calamity, my father looked at the yard and said

Well shit’s really never going to be the same.

I could not have put it better myself. Nor could I think of a better way to announce that MM is going to be getting a facelift this week. Be on the lookout for something altogether fresh and exciting. Things are moving quickly these days – but I have a very good feeling that things are going to be totally gorgeous in the aftermath.

13 Comments to Marzipan, Meet Irene

1. August 29, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Ah Nola!!! I remember like, multigrade with her.

Can’t wait for a facelift-though I do love the header with that sassy naked woman on it.
    Hannah recently posted..Fighting for the Children: Body Image and Eating DisordersMy Profile

2. Ega's Gravatar Ega
    August 29, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Holy Moses! So glad that you’re all okay. Looks like it was quite an adventure!

3. August 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I’m so glad that you’re safe! Although the same can’t be said for your porch. <3
    Ellie Di recently posted..Q&A: Fear Is Always With YouMy Profile

4. August 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing and I’m glad you and the house are okay. You seem to have a positive/new beginning sort of outlook on the storm which is wonderful. Keep us posted with after-storm pictures!
    Sara Grambusch recently posted..If You Give a Kid a Fake Cookie, They’re Probably Going To Be Confused.My Profile

5. August 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Mara–If your friends are anything like my brothers, they _were_ having fun with the chainsaws. So happy to hear that you and yours are all safe (barring the porch rail), and excited to see the new look!
    Ann Becker-Schutte, Ph.D. recently posted..Mid-Week Balance: 24 August 2011My Profile

6. August 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

1) So glad everyone is safe; my condolences for the porch railing, though. And, of course, the lovely trees.

2) Facelift?! You don’t need no stinkin’ facelift! :) But so long as Hilda isn’t going anywhere I’ll be a receptive audience!!
    Deborah recently posted..A Delicate BalanceMy Profile

7. August 30, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

girl you have the BEST ATTITUDE EVER.
    me? I whined my way through our hurricaine fran destruction.
    I admit it…
    MizFit recently posted..What’s the point of compression sleeves?My Profile

8. September 1, 2011 at 12:18 am | Permalink

this whole post gave me a little heart attack but the website is sure pretty