The World Won’t Celebrate You if You Don’t Celebrate Yourself

I have been thinking a lot this week about why publishing Monday’s About the Author post made me all clenched up and dissociative, and why I had a moment of flush-and-panic when a couple of people that I know in real life mentioned it.

To which a little voice inside my head said,

Oh my gosh this is so embaaaarrasssssing. Caught in the act of thinking I’m something.

Here’s the thing, I’m really freaking proud of myself, but it is fascinating what triggers our most tender parts. Fascinating how you can want to be acknowledged for something that you’re proud of, but you don’t want to be reminded of it. Or told out loud that we are appreciated.

Or how those moments, the ones where you go outside of your comfort zone and talk about what you’ve done, are prime targets for the smallest, lingering shadow of an I don’t deserve your attention voice.

The world will not celebrate you if you don’t.

Flat out, you will not get the things you are desiring if you can’t dig deep and believe that you deserve them. You will not be able to move forward, achieve great things, attract clients, find the partner of your dreams, or make more money if permit yourself to get caught up in a conversation with the voice that tells you that you don’t deserve all of the good things coming your way.

You deserve the absolute best life that you can imagine for yourself.

You deserve to have more clients, and not just clients but clients perfectly suited for your business style, than you are able to serve at any given time.

By the same reasoning, you deserve to have a waiting list, you fabulous thing you.

You deserve to have a partner that listens to the words that are coming out of your mouth, and treat you as though you are every bit as special and gorgeous as you are.

You deserve to have a comfortable, kind, and compassionate relationship with your body and with food.

You deserve to charge what you’re worth, and have people pay you, without expecting you to put all of your love and energy into helping them for free.

You deserve to drive a car that gets you where you’re going and live in a home that is cozy.

I can almost hear a naysayer in the distance who begs to differ, who says:

Who are YOU to think that you deserve that kind of wonderful life? Why should you have access to things that other people don’t? What makes you think that you are so special?

That naysayer is alive and well in the back of my mind, and keeps me in check when I start to dream too big or think too much is possible.

Today I’m going to ask you to, lovingly, thank that voice for all that it has done for you over the years, keeping you safe and creating careful stability for you out of the chaos of growing up.

I’m going to ask you to thank that voice, and then, tell it, firmly, that it’s services are not longer necessary.

Kick it to the curb.

Make the decision, right this second, that you are no longer going to be chained up and controlled by the perceived or real expectations of others, your set of deeply ingrained Shoulds, or the part of yourself that constantly needs to  question whether or not you deserve all of the simply amazing things that are coming your way.

You deserve it. Period.

You are worth taking a chance.

_______________________________________

Ready to start celebrating how amazing you are, but you have no idea where to begin? I’d love to help you plan that party. Work with me to put your Shoulds on notice, and begin stepping into the life of your dreams.

10 Comments to The World Won’t Celebrate You if You Don’t Celebrate Yourself

1. Kara's Gravatar Kara
    May 2, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Fuck. I’ve been with the most wonderful man for 10 years — married for four of them and we just celebrated our baby’s first birthday — but I’ve always felt that I’m a little detached from him. Not much, just a half-step or so from fully, 150% giving myself to him and to our relationship. I had a realization while reading this post that it’s not about doubts that we’ll last, or fleeting feelings about past loves (or almost-loves)…it is because deep down, I don’t feel like I deserve him and the unconditional love he gives me.

My initial urge right now is to eat an entire jar of peanut butter, so clearly I’m onto something here. ;) Thank you for helping me find it!

• May 2, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Oh Kara, I read this and I have to admit I got goosebumps. First of all, you deserve him. That is an absolute fact. How can we get you to start believing that? Second of all, resist the peanut butter, momentarily, amazing knowledge and insight about ourselves can rise to the surface when we resist the urge to stuff it back down. xoxox

• May 3, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I used to feel the same way about my amazing husband…thank goodness I got over it and allowed myself (and thus him) the gift of acceptance.

2. Tara's Gravatar Tara
    May 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hmmmm.

It is strange that I couldn’t even get through this post without that damn voice whispering in my ear “why are you reading this Tara, you of all people don’t deserve to even fathom the idea of deserving something”.

Oh how my mind is so riding this teeter totter of “look at me, don’t look at me” “I’m proud of who I am, oh for eff’s sake you haven’t done a damn thing”, “hey people are acknowledging me, look away and pretend it’s not happening”.

I was in the local paper yesterday.

I’m still crying over the attention and feeling like they should have talked with someone else about losing weight and running a marathon. Right? Because everyone else has lost 110+ pounds and fought tooth and nail to run a marathon…surely someone else is more deserving than I.

Oh Mara, I need a hug now.

and a blankie.

Maybe a woobie too.

3. Sheila's Gravatar Sheila
    May 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Beautiful post Mara!
    It’s hard for me to get to believe I deserve what I have earned while carrying around such a big But.
    I want to be an artist BUT I don’t think I’m good enough, and if people tell me I’m good they are just being nice.
    I want to feel good about myself BUT I don’t feel like I am living up to my full potential. I want to contribute BUT what I have to say isn’t worthwhile anyway.

You have a really keen way of getting right to the heart of me.

4. May 3, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Mara, you have hit upon that secret spot inside most of us (probably all of us) that doesn’t quite feel deserving, worthy, lovable. If we go inside just a bit deeper, lo and behold we discover the truth of who we really are. And that is that we are all divine, magnificent, perfectly whole and perfectly beautiful expressions of the Source from which we come. If there is one thing I know for sure, it’s this.

5. May 4, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thank you for this.

6. Denise Alden's Gravatar Denise Alden
    May 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Beautifully said. I have a vision of this being imprinted on a mirror that you look at every morning, and when you can smile in agreement with it, then if fades, only to return the next morning!

1. By on May 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm