Creating a Life That You’re Ecstatic About Living

Take out a pen and a pencil, or whip up a fresh google doc.

Ask yourself these questions:

• If you could have any kind of life possible what would it look like?
  • How would you dress? Who would you date?
  • How would you communicate in your relationships?
  • What kind of sex would you have? How often?
  • How would you eat? How would you move your body?
  • What kind of house would you live in?
  • How would you make an income? What would that income look like?
  • What would your relationship with money feel like?
  • What would you do on a sunny afternoon?
  • What would make you feel alive?

Be patient with yourself, it may take you a little time to formulate your ideas. There may be words crossed out or written over. You may have several drafts before you get it quite right.

Words matter, take the time to choose the right ones.

The thing is, so many of us are quickly moving about our lives, running from place to place too busy to think about what we would be doing with our lives. If we felt licensed to to ask ourselves the hard questions, quietly putting one foot in front of the other as we worked towards what we actually want, how might our lives be different?

Would we look back on the years, wishing we hadn’t wasted so much time?

You aren’t wasting time when you’re living your life instead of letting your life live you.

How might it feel to make a conscious decision to construct your life with your own two hands, reveling in the strength of the foundation or the bones of the beams and rafters? How might it feel to throw your head back and laugh when you realize that, though you had the best of intentions, you tiled the inside of the closet instead of the bathroom? To pull it up and re-do it joyfully, because you are permitting yourself the time and energy to get it done right, even if it means correcting a few errors?

I imagine that it might feel really fucking good.

After you’re done compiling your draft of a life from the questions above, think for a minute about what that person might do, today.

Would they take the time for a proper lunch break? Would they spend time with their kids cooking dinner? Would they make sure that they got enough sleep? Would they go to a hip hop yoga class in the evening? Would they shut down their computer and go out for martinis with their best friend?

Do that. Start there. Live the life of the person that you want to become.

_________________________________________________________

Want to supercharge your vision and start making serious moves to step into your best life?

Work with me.

7 Comments to Creating a Life That You’re Ecstatic About Living

1. May 10, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

This is great. You have to envision the life you want. I do find writing things down helps them come true!

2. May 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I think I’ll take the time and do this exercise. I’ve been mulling on this all for a while now. May help. Thanks MM. xx Jillian

3. May 11, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Mara, I LOVE this post! Not only is it super inspiring, but you give us practical ways to figure out what we want in life and to go for it. You break down something potentially overwhelming, and make it a fun activity. Thank you so much!

• May 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks Margarita!! I’m so glad that you liked it. xoxoxox

4. May 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Mara, I know I’ve been MIA for awhile, but I have to say that this post has been at the top of my mind since I read it. In fact, I had a huge discussion with a few friends this weekend where we pretty much went through this post. It is such food for thought. Thank you!!

5. June 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

EEK I love your blog so much. This is exactly what I needed right now and I can’t wait to journal tonight. MM is my favorite blog!

6. July 9, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I absolutely love this post. The idea that we need to live now the way we want to live “one day” is brilliant, and really, it doesn’t make any sense to do it any other way. Thank you for writing this!

1. By on May 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm