Manifesto of Deserving

I deserve…

To make a living doing something I love, to pay all my bills on time, forever — and have money to spare for adventures, surprises, and sheer delight.

To design a career that will, someday soon, allow me to have kids, raise them my way, at home — and not have to press ‘pause’ on my business, unless I genuinely want to.

Hula-hooping bachelorette parties, kale smoothies + cookies, spontaneous yoga breaks, and impromptu winter holidays in Puerto Rico.

To build a life + home and, eventually, publish a cookbook with the woman I love.

To let emails sit for (gasp!) a whole day, before leaping to reply.

Sane, healthy friendships with people who get me, giggle with me, and would rush to my aid at 4am, if need be.

To let people love me. People I know. People I trust. And even strangers online, who are moved by my words.

Not to downplay my excellence. To celebrate + draw attention to my bigness, my bodaciousness, my everyday acts of honesty + courage.

To hype myself UP, on a daily basis.

I believe…

That you deserve more than you’ve ever allowed yourself to have.

That you are worth more than you’ve ever permitted yourself to imagine.

That you deserve a relationship with your body that is filled with ease, romantic partnerships where you can truly be yourself, unlimited love + adoration simply for being YOU, and a livelihood that is jam-packed with opportunities to exercise all of the gifts that you have to offer the world.

That creating the life you deserve is simpler than you think.

That every tiny, toddler-step towards the life you deserve is worth photographing, chronicling, taking a Beyoncé-fueled dance break + CELEBRATING.

Share your Manifesto of Deserving, in the comments.

Or simply… ONE THING you know you want + deserve, right now.

6 Comments to Manifesto of Deserving

1. August 7, 2012 at 9:15 am | Permalink

I deserve a career that makes me happy to wake up in the morning. I deserve to know what I want to be when I grow up.

I believe I can do it, I just need to figure out what it is.

As always loved the post Mara.

2. Alexis's Gravatar Alexis
    August 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

This is beautiful, and I realize I have so any of things you mention in this posting. Not only do I know that I deserve to be happy, but I am also grateful for having so many wonderful people in my life who feel that I deserve their love.

3. August 9, 2012 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Beautifully put, I loved it. I also adore the new look of your website!

4. Deb's Gravatar Deb
    August 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing your encouraging words. I want to be able to stand up like this, say what I want, believe it, and get it. So many disappointments make it hard to be strong. I think I’m in that midlife crisis where half the time I want to change so bad I could scream, and half the time I feel it’s too late for me.

5. Jennifer's Gravatar Jennifer
    May 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I deserve to love my body, my body deserves to be loved.

I deserve to dream big and not be ashamed.

I deserve to go after whatever I want.

I deserve to give myself some slack.

I deserve to be confident with my decisions and not be swayed by the response of others.

6. Michelle's Gravatar Michelle
    March 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing the Manifesto of Deserving. You have been able to put into words a glorious reminder to us all of just how worthy we truly are.

1. By on August 31, 2012 at 6:09 am