Affirmations are the mantras that we can tell ourselves daily, hourly, or minute by minute (if need be) that seek to re-pattern our negative thoughts. I have always been a big fan of affirmations. When I was in Puerto Rico at the Wigmore Institute, I came across a copy of Louise Hay’s You Can Heal Your Life and the companion Heal Your Body.
I have always, always believed in the power of my thinking to transform my lived experience, but I never before really considered my physical ailments as psychological pain and fear that I was holding on to. Once I became more aware of this connection, I was shocked by the connections that I began noticing. Recently, the fabulous Kendra over at Voice in Recovery wrote a post about 50 Positive Affirmations, which inspired me to create my own list and discussion here on MM.
- I am worth all of the love that I receive.
- I deserve to take up as much space as I need.
- I am safe here.
- I am more than my experiences.
- I am beautiful exactly the way I am.
- I feel comfortable in my own skin.
- I cannot control the world, but am in charge of the way I let things make me feel.
- I have been given exactly as much as I am able to handle.
- I am capable of achieving absolutely anything that I can dream up.
- I matter.
Do you have any experience using affirmations? Where would you begin? What positive though would you like to insert into your life today?